5 home remedies for sore breasts when you're getting your period
The periods can cause a lot of problems and the symptoms might vary from person to person. However, there is one symptom that every woman faces and it is sore breasts. Hormonal changes before a period can make your breast sore or painful.
This is something that cannot be fully understood, however, doctors believe that hormonal changes that our body undergoes during periods are one of the reasons why our breasts are sore and painful before and when we are going through our periods.
Individuals can go to certain lengths to diminish breast pain. Nonetheless, if their breast pain becomes serious or they have indications of breast disease, they should look for clinical consideration.
What Causes Sore Breasts Before Periods?
Breast pain is one of the many indications that your periods are going to start while hormonal changes are one of the most common reasons for breast pain, other symptoms include constipation, pain in the lower abdomen, bloating, mood swings, and craving for sweet food.
A decrease in the levels of the hormones estrogen and progesterone before a period can cause sore breasts. Changes during periods can also cause swelling in lymph nodes, which might add to breast pain as well.
Some studies claim sore breasts happen because of a connection between breast pain and a hormone called prolactin. This hormone is responsible for breast milk creation in women following delivery. However, all women have this hormone and could cause soreness in breasts whether or not you have delivered.
Indications of Sore Breasts
The sensation of breast pain might vary from person to person. Certain people may experience excruciating pain and discomfort, while for others it is light and manageable. Look out for the symptoms, if you are experiencing sore breasts before periods:
- Dull pain a week before periods
- Pain in one or both breasts
- Pain going up to the underarms
- Sharp on occasion
- Pain along with swelling in breasts
- Pain in areola region
Other reasons for breast pain
Breastfeeding can cause mastitis, which could cause sore and painful breasts. Breast pain may also happen because of the following reasons:
- Blockage in the milk duct
- Fibrocystic breast tissue
- Weighty and huge breasts
- The surgical procedure in the breast region
- Hormonal treatment
- Prescription drugs like methyldopa, chlorpromazine, or oxymetholone
- Breast injury
Treatment for Sore Breasts
- Over-the-counter painkillers, like ibuprofen or acetaminophen
- Contraception pills to control hormones changes
- Antibiotics if the pain is because of infection
Home Remedies for Sore Breasts
You can also manage sore breasts before periods through common home remedies and lifestyle changes.
- Wearing a bigger bra
- Supportive bra during the night or sleeping without a bra on
- Reduce the amount of caffeine you consume it also include tea, soda beverages, alcohol
- Eating less salt to reduce water retention
- Hot and cold compression to offer instant relief
When to see a specialist
You should see your primary care physician if a sore breast before periods is accompanied by any of the below-mentioned symptoms
- Lumps in the painful breast
- Bleeding or putrid discharge from nipples
- Breast pain that has not been subsidized even after the periods are over
- Breast pain makes it difficult for you to do your daily chores, even if the pain is connected to your monthly cycle
- Redness in the breast region accompanied by fever
Sore breasts before a period are typical yet can be vexatious. The irritation is for the most part because of hormonal changes that your body undergoes before and after periods. Home remedies and some over-the-counter medicines are accessible to reduce periods-related breast pain. If these don't lessen uneasiness, discomfort, and pain, then you should reach out to a specialist and get it treated as soon as possible.