How To Prevent Underarms From Darkening?
Do you love wearing sleeveless dresses but avoid them because of dark underarms?
For some of us, this phenomenon can cause embarrassment and lower our self-confidence. Now, you don’t have to give up wearing sleeveless tops, swimming suits or your favourite clothes that show your underarms because we have home and medical remedies to help you regain your confidence and get rid of dark underarms.
What Causes Dark Underarms?
- Chemicals from deodorants and antiperspirants
- Regular shaving
- Dead skin cell accumulation because of no waxing
- Wearing tight clothes
- Hyperpigmentation because of smoking
- Increase in melanin levels
- Obesity,diabetes, hormonal imbalance, and more
- Erythrasma (bacterial infection)
- Addison's sickness
How To Treat Dark Underarms?
- Change your antiperspirant/deodorants
- Baking soda or apple juice vinegar
- Quit shaving
- Choose waxing
- Laser hair removal treatment
- Try exfoliation
- Wear loose clothes
- Quit smoking
- Use Vitamin E capsules
Home Remedies To Treat Dark Underarms
There are some natural bleaching agents, as mentioned below, that can help you lighten your underarms:
- Cucumber Slice: Cut a piece of cucumber roughly and rub it on your dark underarms,washing it off after 10 minutes.
- Lemon Slice: Slice a lemon and rub it on your underarms. Then wash it off after 10 minutes. Make sure to apply some lotion to get rid of any itchiness or burning sensation.
You can also mix Vitamin E capsules with lemon juice to lighten the underarm skin. Lemon juice has been traditionally used as a skin-lightening agent.
- Orange Peel Powder: Grind some sun-dried orange peel into fine powder. Now, add one tablespoon of milk and rose water to it to make a thick paste. Apply th mixture on your underarms and leave it for 15 minutes before washing it with cool water. For best results, repeat at least twice a week. Turmeric Powder: One of the most used ingredients in the Indian kitchen, turmeric, is well-known for its antibacterial properties. Extract the juice of half a lemon and mix it with turmeric powder to make a smooth paste. Now, apply the paste on your underarms and wash it after 30 minutes with lukewarm water.
- Tea Tree Oil: In a small spray bottle, take water and add five drops of tea tree oil to it. Spray the mixture on your dark underarms and leave it to dry. You can apply this mixture daily after a shower for the best outcomes.
- Potatoes: Grate a raw potato and extract its juice. Dip a cotton in the juice and dab it on your underarms,washing it off after 10 minutes.
Medical Treatment for Dark Underarms
There are a few medical treatments we recommend for you, in case, the problem persists. However, it is advisable to always consult a dermatologist before you try anything new.
- Use skin-whitening creams with prime ingredients like hydroquinone, tretinoin, corticosteroids, azelaic acid and kojic acid
- Laser hair removal treatment
- Chemical peeling - alpha hydroxy acids and beta hydroxy acids
- Dermabrasion or microdermabrasion treatments
Dark underarms can be treated with proper care and some home remedies. However, if you notice weird patches of dark skin in your underarms, then you must get yourself examined by a doctor/dermatologist.
Dark underarms are normal for some but may be an underlying medical condition for a few. In that case,you must seek medical treatment or advice.